I don’t have as much luxury time to spend on this post as I’d thought I would have, so I’m just gonna post the answers with a little explanatory text, and let the appropriate authorities know who among you earned points. Nobody was able to earn the bonus 5 points for getting these all right. But that’s okay. Hopefully there was some amusement to be had in the exercise anyway.
So the common theme for the letter-shifted secondary answers were: each one was the name of a popular music artist or group (hence “Pop Quiz”!). Here’s how they look all solved and stuff.
1) HALL AND GATES (HALL AND OATES), a place in a mansion and a place surrounding a mansion.
2) FIR SUPPLY (AIR SUPPLY). Fir trees is one of the things people use for Christmas trees, from what this Jew guy was able to find out.
3) GAMY GLITTER (GARY GLITTER). I would also have accepted “Gory glitter”.
4) TOM WATTS (TOM WAITS). Tom cat! Aha!
5) THE BEE G.E.D.S (THE BEE GEES). I’m really pleased that one person got this.
6) PINK FLOOD (PINK FLOYD). This was one my favorite clue.
7) LADY GALA (LADY GAGA). It’s iffy to refer to debutantes as ladies, I guess. Because they’re so young.
8) RADIOHEAP (RADIOHEAD).
9) TRON MAIDEN (IRON MAIDEN). Yori was the name of a female character in Tron!
10) YOLO TENGO (YO LA TENGO). This was the one that inspired the whole puzzle.
Okay! Any questions or confusion, drop me a note or comment or something. New puzzle to follow once I’ve figured out a better method for constructing it. Thanks for playing!